Re: Libtool eats redundant link objects

From: Sam TH
Subject: Re: Libtool eats redundant link objects
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 17:09:14 -0600

On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 07:34:08PM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Feb 24, 2001, Sam TH <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Ok, this is the third reply to this mail that I've sent.
>
> Sorry.  It seems that all of us have been busy lately.
>
> > But this bug is really hindering my ability to do anything at all,
>
> Did you get to try the multi-language branch?  I don't think this bug
> is present in it.

Sorry, fails there too.

address@hidden ~/projects/libtool/demo]$  /bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link gcc
-static  -o hell  main.o libhello.la
gcc -o hell main.o  ./.libs/libhello.a -lm
address@hidden ~/projects/libtool/demo]$  /bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link gcc
-static  -o hell  main.o libhello.la libhello.la
gcc -o hell main.o  ./.libs/libhello.a -lm
address@hidden ~/projects/libtool/demo]$ ./libtool --version
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.4a (1.641.2.181 2001/02/23 20:11:58)

In between my last email, and this one, I found a workaround.  I just
create 1 huge library, with all of the libraries I wanted to include
multiple times.  Then I just link the final object file against that
.la library, and get an executable.  This doesn't feel like a good
solution, but it does link.

However, the resulting binary is twice as large as that generated by
the non-libtool build system I'm trying to convert from.  Would
passing a .o file through 2 extra layers of libraries cause this
behavior?

        sam th
        address@hidden
        http://www.abisource.com/~sam/