libreplanet-se

Swedish systems for electronic identification and payments, are there fr

From: Elias Rudberg
Subject: Swedish systems for electronic identification and payments, are there free/libre alternatives to BankID and Swish?
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 10:50:58 +0200

Hej!

About electronic identification systems, there is a Swedish government agency called "DIGG – Myndigheten för digital förvaltning": https://www.digg.se/ and they have created the site https://www.elegitimation.se/ where they list the following three electronic identification systems that are currently available:

- BankID (utgiven av bankerna)
- Freja eID Plus (utgiven av Freja eID Group AB)
- AB Svenska Pass (utgiven av Skatteverket).

Of those three, as far as I know BankID requires using proprietary software from Google/Apple/Microsoft and as far as I know there is no way to get around that, so BankID cannot be used in a freedom-respecting way.

The second one, Freja eID Plus, also seems to be available only for those who are willing to use proprietary software, since it requires an Apple/Google smartphone.

The third option, the "AB Svenska Pass" id solution that comes with the ID card from Skatteverket (the Swedish tax agency), is as far as I know the only one that can be used from a GNU/Linux computer. I tried that and it required some kind of plugin or extension to be installed in Firefox, right now I'm not sure if that extension is free software or not but that is something to find out more about. If that Firefox extension is free software, then the "AB Svenska Pass"/Skatteverket alternative may be useful without installing any proprietary software.

What do you think, are there other alternatives regarding free/libre electronic identification systems?

Then there is the related question about payments, where the "Swish" system has become very much used, to the point where it's almost like everyone is expected to use Swish. But Swish is relying on BankID so it is not possible to use Swish without installing proprietary software, as far as I know.

Are there alternatives to Swish?

Any other thoughts or ideas related to this?

Best regards / Vänliga hälsningar
Elias Rudberg