libreplanet-se

How do we make Swedish schools and universities switch to free/libre sof

From: Elias Rudberg
Subject: How do we make Swedish schools and universities switch to free/libre software?
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 11:20:19 +0200

Hej alla,

I think there are extremely strong arguments for using free/libre software in schools and universities, everywhere, not least here in Sweden.

Quotong from the new "System Override" book:

"Schools (and this includes all educational activities) influence the future of society through what they teach. They should teach exclusively free software, so as to use their influence for good. To teach a proprietary program is to implant dependence, which goes against the mission of education. By leading students to free software and explaining the moral issue at stake, schools will direct society's future towards freedom and help talented programmers master the craft. They will also teach students the habit of cooperating, of helping other people learn, and of practicing clear and reproducible science."

(The above is from chapter 5 in "System Override", that chapter is by Richard Stallman. More at https://www.gnu.org/education/edu-schools.html)

I am convinced that if we talk to someone who works at a school or makes decisions about schools, once this is explained to them they will agree that free/libre software is the way to go and that the current situation with so much proprietary software is deeply wrong and needs to change.

But it seem like most people in Sweden who work in education and/or make decisions about such things, are usually unaware of this. How can we change that?

Are there examples of some schools and/or universities where free software is used? Is so, can those examples be used to convince others?

Since decisions about the Swedish schools are made at the local "kommun" level, I'm thinking that it would be great if there was some "kommun" where people in charge understood these issues, then a change towards more free/libre software could start there and then spread to other places.

Other ideas about this? How do we start making the changes that are needed?

Best regards / Vänliga hälsningar
Elias Rudberg