libreplanet-se

About free software in Swedish schools and Swedish identification/paymen

From: Elias Rudberg
Subject: About free software in Swedish schools and Swedish identification/payment systems
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 10:20:02 +0200

Hello everyone!
Should I write in Swedish or in English on this list?

(Hej allihop!
Är det bäst att skriva på svenska eller engelska här?)

I will go with English for the moment, but it could be nice to discuss
this in Swedish also.

Can this mailing list be a place where we could discuss questions
related to free/libre software in Sweden? I hope so.

Here are two things that I am especially interested in:

- Software used by schools and universities. In my opinion they should
use free software much more than they are doing and there are many
strong arguments to support that, we should work on convincing people
of this and showing them how to do it. I would like to discuss how best
to do this, find good examples of where it is already done, find good
ways to increase the use of free/libre software in schools. In Sweden
decisions about schools are made at the local (kommun) level
politically, one interesting this would be to find out if there are
some places (kommuner) where they already use free software, then learn
from that and expand on it.

- Indentification systems and banking: currently the "BankID"
identification system and the related "Swish" payment system are very
dominant in Sweden. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell they require
proprietary software. Are there alternative solutions based on free
software? If not, how can we work towards making such alternatives
available in the future? There are strong arguments here to argue that
it is wrong for institutions in society to require us to use
proprietary software, often specifically Google/Apple things are
required, it is wrong to force us to use that stuff.

If you are insterested in any of these things in Sweden, please let me
know, maybe we can work on it together?

Best regards / Vänliga hälsningar
Elias Rudberg