libreplanet-discuss

Re: Privacy Respecting Replacement for facebook groups

From: Adrien Bourmault (neox on Freenode)
Subject: Re: Privacy Respecting Replacement for facebook groups
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2020 14:14:37 +0200

Once again, it is important to remember that if you want to use Matrix
in a free and privacy friendly way, it is not recommended to use New
Vector clients, such as Riot/Element for example, because some of them
contain non-free code (here Electron) and encourage the use of non-free
/ privacy friendly software (e.g. Google Calendar bot, youtube
integration or whatever). You should also avoid New Vector server
instances because they are overloaded and the identity server instance
they use (enabled by default in New Vector clients) is non-free.

So apart from hosting yourself or using an instance known to be really
free, and with a really free client, Matrix is not really the right
solution...