Re: [Libcdio-devel] CD-Text patches

From: Rocky Bernstein
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] CD-Text patches
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 11:25:38 -0500

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 4:01 AM, Leon Merten Lohse <address@hidden>wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 10:16:54PM -0500, Rocky Bernstein wrote:
> > I've compiled on Solaris, Ubuntu and cygwin and no unexpected problems.
> The
> > test driver program
> > cdrdao fails consistently now. I don't think that is your problem, but a
> > flaw in the image reading recently reported and a weakness in the cdrdao
> > test code. I will get around to fixing that way before another release.
>
> That is because you changed these lines in test/driver/cdrdao.c.in
> -       if (!cdio_is_tocfile(psz_tocfile)) {
> +       if (!cdio_is_tocfile(psz_tocfile) ||
> +     !(p_cdio = cdio_open_cdrdao(psz_tocfile))) {
> Since most of the test toc files do not have a datafile entry, the image
> driver will not parse them and return an error. Also the offsets given
> in vcd2.toc are bigger than the actual image file cdda.bin and causing
> another error.

Should now be fixed in git.

Basically what is going on is that we are being more stringent about what
passes as a valid cdrdao toc file. libcdio has never implemented cdrdao's
SILENCE. Equally bad, as I look a the code now, it assumes that there is
only one data file. (Apparently this covers most of what people use in
libcdio or there would be more complaints.)

I have filled in a little more of the SILENCE code to get the tests to pass
for these examples.

And of course I've fixed the vcd2.toc offsets so they are now within range.

> > I could run the check_cue test fine, but I'd like to be able to burn the
> > cdda binary so I can try with other drivers. But haven't been able to
> burn
> > the image. I tried k3b on Ubuntu and Roxio CD/DVD creator on windows. k3b
> > doesn't like the CDTEXTFILE line in cdtext.cue. Roxio will accept that
> but
> > it doesn't let me burn to a CD-R.
> >
> > I would be interested to learn if someone can burn this image
> successfully
> > and if so what software is used. (Or it would be okay just to send me a
> > physical disk to test with.)
>
> cdrecord should do the job. I do not have any blank discs right now but
> I will try tomorrow.
> There are two options
> 1) use `cuefile=filename' and `-text' command line arguments. cdrecord
> should parse the CDTEXTFILE keyword then
> 2) if it does not, you can still manually specify the cdtextfile with
> `textfile=filename' argument
> see man cdrecord

In either case I get:
  cdrecord: Inconsistent CD-Text file 'cdtext.cdt' not a multiple of pack
length
  cdrecord: Cannot use 'cdtext.cdt' as CD-Text file.

> Actually there is almost no documentation of CD-Text implementation. I
> had to get most of it by digging through cdrecords and cdda2wavs source
> code. Those were the only programs that got close to implementing the whole
> standard.

You can help things along by writing what you just learned and publishing
or posting it somewhere. Feel free to include it into libcdio's
documentation. Or I can add a link to what you write.

I've just added a couple of links to cdtext information to the libcdio
manual by googling for cdtext.