k3d-dev

Re: [K-3D dev] K-3D news!

From: P. Christeas
Subject: Re: [K-3D dev] K-3D news!
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 13:33:08 +0300

> Hello everybody,
>
>  I've been very busy this summer, unfortunately not
> with K-3D project.
>
>  Here's what happened so far:
>
>  - an attempt to move from Sourceforge to Savannah was
> a failure: Savannah is free as in freedom, but suffers
> from a lack of support, administrators are very busy
> and don't have time to process all user requests.
> Savannah also lacks many useful features that
> SourceForge provides. The project will then stay on
> SourceForge, but under another name to start from a
> clean new CVS repository. The name is likely to be
> 'Kinka'.
>
>  - the sdpTypes and sdpXML have been ported to GLIB
> 2.0 (from the configure scripts point of view at
> least). They're in the Savannah CVS before moving to
> the new one.
>
>  - after studying the GLIB / GTK 2.0 transition, it
> happened that it will not be easy. I'll tell you about
> about my plans in a future mail.

Does this mean that a major change can be considered?
I have had some ideas I'd like to share with you (and the community).
Unfortunately the words 'major rewrite' seem to trigger a flame war.

In principle the idea is that such a piece of software is split into two
parts: an engine (3d processing) and the frontend. There is a wide range of
reasons to do so (I also know the reasons not to).
It would also be useful to co-operate with the Blender3D team, since it is
becoming open-source.

Feel free to ask me more if you're interested.