js-extensions-discussion

Re: First Release of Hachette, an extension packaging hacks for JS-encum

From: Wojciech Kosior
Subject: Re: First Release of Hachette, an extension packaging hacks for JS-encumbered websites
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 10:36:25 +0200

On Sat, 15 May 2021 07:58:00 +0000
jahoti via Js-extensions-discussion <js-extensions-discussion@gnu.org>
wrote:

> As per the subject, this is to announce the release of Hachette 0.1,
> an extension which is designed to package small fixes for
> JS-encumbered websites in a single, configurable place. It can be
> downloaded from https://jahoti.tilde.team/AutumnProject.html (direct
> link: https://jahoti.tilde.team/browser-extensions/hjst_01.xpi ).
>
> Some things to note:
> * Please, please, please send an e-mail (perhaps tagging this mailing
> list) if you have bugs, gripes, or praise. This extension has had no
> external feedback to date, and if the consensus is it would be better
> not to bundle every single hack (i.e. small JS/CSS script) into one
> extension, then I will stop doing that.
> * Hachette REPLACES the "load the onion" extension. If you are using
> this, it should be disabled or removed before installing Hachette. On
> IceCat, you will also need to do the following to allow multimedia
> files to load on The Onion website:
>       - go to the "Searxes' Third-party Request Blocker"
> preferences (on the about:addons page)
>       - scroll to the bottom
>       - add the following lines to the textbox:
>
> ```
> .theonion.com i.kinja-img.com
> .theonion.com player.megaphone.fm
> .theonion.com traffic.megaphone.fm
> .theonion.com dcs.megaphone.fm
> ```
>       - Click "Save" at the very bottom of the page
>

> If Hachette is to continue being maintained and extended, there is
> also the question of where it would be best to put a code repository,
> bug tracking and updates manifest (or if it would be best to use
> addons.mozilla.org). Firstly, however, it seems appropriate to
> determine whether this approach to fixing websites is best.
>
> ~~~ jahoti

Hello,

What you're doing seems to be a similar idea to the one I've been
working on and discussing with others recently. Good to see more people
thinking alike. You might want to look at my extension:

https://git.koszkonutek-tmp.pl.eu.org/browser-extension/

and my rationale behind it:

https://trisquel.info/en/forum/software-freedom-movement-challenge-javascript-trap

I shall also look closer at yours, possibly today, and maybe write
another email.

Best,
Wojtek

--