jailkit-users

Re: [Jailkit-users] libz?

From: Olivier Sessink
Subject: Re: [Jailkit-users] libz?
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 17:49:09 +0100

On 01/18/2012 09:24 AM, email builder wrote:
[..]
Hmm.  I zipped up a random README file and used less on it.  When I did
that from a normal (non-jailed) account, it tells me:

Archive:  README.zip   3925 bytes   1 file
-rw-r--r--  2.3 unx     9564 tx defN 21-Dec-11 23:55 README
1 file, 9564 bytes uncompressed, 3781 bytes compressed:  60.5%

But when I su to a jailed user (or ssh to a jailed user), I get this:

WARNING: terminal is not fully functional
"README.zip" may be a binary file.  See it anyway?

I hit "y" and then I see lots of e.g. "<F5><CE><9A>-<B01>" which
goes on randomly for a few pages.

I'm not sure if that's just a terminal issue or if less/libz
is malfunctioning.  (I tend to think it might just be the
account's terminal?)

no this looks to like the 'less' inside the jail is either a
different less, or it is missing the zip functionality or library
(I don't know what it needs to read zip files).

[..]
*Something* had to require it to make jk_init put it into
the jail, right?  What process does jk_init use to determine
that?

jk_init and jk_cp use ldd on all the binaries. However, yu cannot see all libraries with ldd, libraries that are opened with ldopen() cannot be detected that way.

Normally, does jk_update *remove* unused libraries?

nope, it only detects differences between the real system and the jail

Or is it normal to have a situation like this with what
could be an orphaned library in the jail?  (Although it
seems we don't know for sure that it should not be in
the jail)

I normally have my jails all configured in jk_init.ini, so after a major operating system update I can recreate the jail from scratch using a single jk_init command (and then copy the data back into the jail.

Olivier