jailkit-users

Re: [Jailkit-users] libz?

From: email builder
Subject: Re: [Jailkit-users] libz?
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 00:24:48 -0800 (PST)

>>  I'm not sure what tools libz provides or what binaries use

>>  libz.  Do you know?  jk_update or jk_check both do not
>>  currently complain about missing libz or try to add it.
>
> libz provides gzip compression, so programs like less that can show zipped
> files
> can use libz.
>
> It seems that recent versions of less don't use libz anymore by the way.

Hmm.  I zipped up a random README file and used less on it.  When I did
that from a normal (non-jailed) account, it tells me:

Archive:  README.zip   3925 bytes   1 file
-rw-r--r--  2.3 unx     9564 tx defN 21-Dec-11 23:55 README
1 file, 9564 bytes uncompressed, 3781 bytes compressed:  60.5%

But when I su to a jailed user (or ssh to a jailed user), I get this:

WARNING: terminal is not fully functional
"README.zip" may be a binary file.  See it anyway?

I hit "y" and then I see lots of e.g. "<F5><CE><9A>-<B01>" which
goes on randomly for a few pages.

I'm not sure if that's just a terminal issue or if less/libz
is malfunctioning.  (I tend to think it might just be the
account's terminal?)

Hmm, there's no rpm on the machine that's named with
"libz" in it, so I can't use rpm to see its dependencies.
Is there any other way to see what is using it/what
requires it?

*Something* had to require it to make jk_init put it into
the jail, right?  What process does jk_init use to determine
that?

Normally, does jk_update *remove* unused libraries?
Or is it normal to have a situation like this with what
could be an orphaned library in the jail?  (Although it
seems we don't know for sure that it should not be in
the jail)

Thanks for your help.