Re: [igraph] C attribute handler too inefficient

From: Daniel Penalva
Subject: Re: [igraph] C attribute handler too inefficient
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 15:13:59 -0300

Hi, i compressed the files in .tar file. to compile you must change the path in ./compila_percept_test  and then run this file under the terminal (note that iam using glib but thats obvious not the point). The relevant functions for attributes are:

in automata0.c:

probabilidade(),simular()

in perceptlib0.c:

all functions are doing the job of setup and/or return an atribute.

as you see this code performs is the worst (i think), hope you find what iam doing wrong with the attribute interface.

On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 6:55 PM, Tamas Nepusz <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

> Iam using the attribute handler interface with the functions SETVAN
> (SETVANV)  and VAN (VANV) to setup the attributes in each time step.
> I need to reset all the attributes in each realization of the simulation.
>
> Over the third realization the process get killed because it consumed all
> the ram in the computer (7.7Gb). I need to optimize attribute handling in
> igraph, the usual interface seems to be slow and memory wasting.
Have you profiled the app? Which parts of it seem to be slow? Also, I don't
think that a few numeric attributes for ~50000 vertices should eat up 7.7 GB of
memory with the C attribute handler. Can it be the case that your app is
leaking memory somewhere?

If it is not highly confidential, send me a self-contained example that reproduces
your problem and I'll take a look at it.