Re: [igraph] Install on Ubuntu 14.04.1 -- .bashrc add LD_LIBRARY_PATH

From: Steve Koch
Subject: Re: [igraph] Install on Ubuntu 14.04.1 -- .bashrc add LD_LIBRARY_PATH
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 16:04:41 -0700

Thanks, Tamas! I sent in a pull request w/ my attempt at adding a note to the webpage. Also, I should note that the stackoverflow link you provided has a safer way of editing the .bashrc file (appending to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable):

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib"

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 2:49 AM, Tamas Nepusz <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello Steve,

> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib/
>
> Is this something that should be added to the current documentation? Is it
> a small bug? Or is it just a quirk of my systems (I had same behavior on
> two Ubuntu systems).
/usr/local/lib is usually on the linker's default path, so any library that you
put there should be picked up automatically. On Ubuntu, this is not the case so
that's why you have to add it to the linker path using the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
variable. Another way to do it is to edit /etc/ld.so.conf or some file in
/etc/ld.so.conf.d -- this will add /usr/local/lib to the linker path
permanently, for all users of the system. See the following question on
Stack Overflow:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17889799/libraries-in-usr-local-lib-not-found

So yes, I think this issue is related to Ubuntu systems only, but as it is
a fairly common Linux distribution, I think it's worth adding a note to the
homepage.

All the best,