Re: [igraph] Loading Igraph and Cairo

From: Herb Roseman
Subject: Re: [igraph] Loading Igraph and Cairo
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2015 15:04:48 +0000

I resolved the problem in my own pragmatic way.  Here are the steps I used.  My guess is that they would work for anything on Christoph's site.

Installing Cairo in Python for Windows.

1.       Go to  site http://www.lfd.uci.edu, Chrisoph Gohlke’s site

2.       Download the appropriate version of Cairo to your Download folder

3.       Move the downloaded file from the Download folder to  c:\Pythonxx\Scripts (xx is the version of Python)

4.       Open a DOS command window.  The Python command window doesn't seem to work

5.       Enter cd c:\Pythonxx\Scripts.  The system will give you a command line in that directory.

6.       Enter:

       pip install  downloaded-file-name, for example pycairo-1.10.0-cp27-none-win32.whl

On Wed Feb 04 2015 at 2:58:59 AM Tamas Nepusz <address@hidden> wrote:
> When I go to the igraph page and try the link to the MSI installers (Python
> Package Index) I get "not found"
I haven't managed to prepare MSI installers yet for python-igraph 0.7 so they
are not on PyPI. Where did you find the links pointing to them? I cannot see
them on the download page.

> I am able to download Christoph'a
> installers ( I think I did this before) but I dont know what to do with
> them after they are downloaded.
It looks like Christoph's page switched to switching Python wheels (files with
.whl as an extension) instead of MSI installers. I have never used wheels
myself, but according to the documentation of the wheel module, you should be
able to install them from the command line as follows:

0) If you don't have pip, install it first:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4750806/how-to-install-pip-on-windows

1) Upgrade pip to the latest version to ensure that it supports wheels:

pip install --upgrade pip

2) Install wheel itself

pip install wheel

3) Install python-igraph

pip install --use-wheel --find-links=http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs python-igraph

> Are there detailed instructions anywhere?
No, not yet and even if they were, they would be broken by now because
I haven't noticed yet that Christoph's page switched to using Python wheels.

Let me know whether this worked for you.

All the best,