[igraph] Problem installation

From: José Manuel Monroy Kuhn
Subject: [igraph] Problem installation
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 13:50:39 +0100

Hello!!

I need python igraph to run trans ABySS. I am installing it on a cluster where I dont have root access.
I tried to do as follows

python setup.py install --user

But I got this error
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib64/libxml2.a(entities.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.text' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/lib64/libxml2.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
I know from here https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/igraph-help/2014-05/msg00045.html that
the static version of libxml2 on my system was not compiled with the -fPIC option enabled, so it cannot be linked to a dynamic library. The problem is I cannot do what they suggest because I do not have root privileges.
I tried to compile libxml2 with -fPIC option eneabled on my home directory and add it to my PATH but I get the same error. I dont know haw to make it use the libxml2 installed in my home directory.
Is it possible? Is there any other way?

Thank you for your time
Cheers

J. Manuel