Re: [igraph] how to plot a very basic MST with igraph

From: Steve Boudreault
Subject: Re: [igraph] how to plot a very basic MST with igraph
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 17:17:31 +0100

> But I'd prefer you tell us want you want to do, and then we don't need
> guess.

Please look at the following image :

http://inspirehep.net/record/833443/files/mst.png

These are "minimum spanning tree" (right?) of stars distributed in X (i.e.
right ascension, RA) and Y (i.e. declination, DEC). You have this for
three open clusters : IC2391, M34, M11.

This *is* what I want to do. I want to do a plot like this.

I have a list of objects in RA and DEC :

alpa (RA)   delta (DEC)
0.923   -12.345
0.912   -11.222
0.812   -11.763
0.902   -11.923
0.942   -12.001
...   ...

I would like to produce a plot with my list of objects. A plot like the
one presented in the link I have provided.

More generally, I would like to use MST as a tool to see if the
distribution is clustered (e.g. M11, obviously there is a cluster) or
homogeneously distributed (e.g. IC 2391, not obvious that there is a
cluster).

Ultimately, I would like to use the normalised correlation length of the
MST (say, "s") and the mean edge length of the MST (say, "m") to make a
distinction between overall radial density (m/s > 0.8, most-likely there
is a cluster, like for M11) and subclustering (m/s < 0.8, most-likely
there are *no* cluster, like for IC 2391).

I hope I better explained what I wanted.

> On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 9:42 AM, Steve Boudreault
> <address@hidden>wrote:
>> Greetings,
>> I am new to R, and probably this is a very simple problem with very few
things to do. (Sorry if this is the case.)
>> Here I go ...
>> I have a list of about 1000 objects in the file "list.csv". It looks like
>> this :
>> alpa   delta
>> 0.923   -12.345
>> 0.912   -11.222
>> 0.812   -11.763
>> 0.902   -11.923
>> 0.942   -12.001
>> ...   ...
>> Alpha is the X axis and delta is the Y axis.
>> I would like to produce a very simple minimum spanning tree plot, like the
>> ones I attached with this message.
>> The informations I got so far using igraph in R implied using an adjacent
>> matrix (e.g. "G <- graph.adjacency(as.matrix(D), weighted=TRUE)").
Maybe