Re: [igraph] plot: edges cross vertexes

From: Gábor Csárdi
Subject: Re: [igraph] plot: edges cross vertexes
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 11:40:43 -0400

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Sam Steingold <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
> You might consider the following approach:
> 1. sort the edges in decreasing order of weights.
> 2. for each edge not yet drawn, draw it as a straight line; if it does
> not hit another vertex or intersection of edges, we are done; otherwise
> replace it with a piece-wise spline avoiding vertexes and edge
> intersections.
>
> Actually, I think there are plenty of papers on graph visualization.

I think graphviz does something similar, just by the look of it, so
you might want to try it. It has bindings from R, and I am sure that
there are Python bindings for it, too.

> I know this is not a simple problem; however, I think it is worth more
> attention than it got so far.

Well, go for it, then, patches are welcome. :)

More seriously, visualization has not been the main focus of igraph so
far, other packages like graphviz or gephi are better suited for
drawing graphs in sophisticated ways.

Gabor

[...]

--