[igraph] Walktrap / Community / Modularity

From: Amanda Schierz
Subject: [igraph] Walktrap / Community / Modularity
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 16:13:27 +0100

Hi

I have a network with approx 9500 vertices. The vertices are labelled from 0
upwards. I ran Walktrap.communities and have the membership vector. I then ran
Modularity on the walktrap object and a vector was returned the same length as
the number of vertices. I therefore assume these are vertex modularity scores.

I don't know if I have misunderstood modularity but there is a direct
correlation between the modularity score and the vertex ID. If I sort the
vertex modularity scores in ascending order then it's 98% the same as the
vertex ordering (I thought there might be some ordering bias because of the use
of clustering). Very significant p value between modularity and vertex id.

Have I made a big error in my understanding of communities and modularity? Also
for vertex id 0 (which is needed for igraph) the modularity is 0 (in the
modularity documentation it says that communities should start from 1 but
walktrap starts the communities from 0)  The is no pattern between the
community and the vertex ID.

many thanks for your help,

Mandy

The Institute of Cancer Research: Royal Cancer Hospital, a charitable Company
Limited by Guarantee, Registered in England under Company No. 534147 with its
Registered Office at 123 Old Brompton Road, London SW7 3RP.

This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addressee only.  If the
message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please return the
message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message from your
computer and network.