Re: [igraph] community detection significance

From: Tamás Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] community detection significance
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 20:58:50 +0200

Dear Filipe,

None of the community significance algorithms are implemented in igraph yet and
I am not aware of any such implementations yet. A relatively simple approach is
to take each vertex in the community, calculate their internal and external
degrees (i.e. the number of edges incident on them that lead inside the
community and outside the community, respectively), and then run a Mann-Whitney
U-test. The null hypothesis is that the distribution of internal and external
degrees is the same (in other words, the community is not a real one because it
is just as dense "inside" as "outside"), and the test will reject it if the
community is a significant one. I'm sure that there are far better methods than
this, but this is relatively easy to implement both in R and in Python using
igraph.

Best,--
T.