Re: [igraph] random walks with directed edges

From: Tamás Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] random walks with directed edges
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 13:26:02 +0200

> are these good indicators that maybe the network has a core-periphery
> structure, with nested k-groups, instead of connected communities with
> some links between them?

Yes, I strongly suspect so.

> again, if this is a suitable answer, is there any core-periphery
> algorithm in igraph?

Well, as a first approximation, you can say that nodes with a low coreness
value are the periphery and the rest is the core. Alternatively, you could say
that the big strongly connected component is the core and the rest is the
periphery. You could also try to fit a stochastic blockmodel to the network
with two groups -- this is not implemented in igraph, but I have a working
implementation for both traditional and degree-corrected stochastic blockmodel
fitting in C++ (using igraph) so I can help you with that. The source code is
here in case you are interested:

https://github.com/ntamas/blockmodel

This paper gives you a short overview about the existing methods in Section 2.1
and also proposes a new method:

http://www.amath.unc.edu/Faculty/mucha/Reprints/coreperiphery.pdf