Re: [igraph] two-mode to one-mode with event types/attributes

From: Moses Boudourides
Subject: Re: [igraph] two-mode to one-mode with event types/attributes
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 23:34:16 +0300

Hi Andrew,

Just a question about your example. What is the difference between
your event indexation and event time? I mean, is it possible for two
different events (not event types), say, events i and j to take place
at the same time, say, Tk?

In any case, one could see your example as a combination of three
different hypergraphs. In the first hypergraph, vertices are persons
and edges events. In the second hypergraph, vertices are events and
edges are event types. What I don't understand well (and for this
purpose I asked you the above question) is whether, in the third
hypergraph, vertices are events and edges are event times.

Now, what is nice with hypergraphs is that nested partitions (like the
previous ones) are additive and so your data can be first decomposed
in event attributes and subsequently projected on the set of vertices
(persons). This means that the resulting 2-mode network (between
persons) will be a multi-weighted graph, or better said, a graph
accepting vector weights, in which each component would correspond to
a different event attribute (two components in your case).

Best,

--Moses