Re: [igraph] new user question

From: Tamás Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] new user question
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 20:49:56 +0100

> Taking the statechart and from this generating nodes and vertices for igraph
> and
> then exciting/changing the igraph to visually match the changing status of
> the
> statechart as the statechart executes?
>
> Would this be a proper use for igraph?
igraph is not meant to be a visualisation framework; true, the Python and R
interfaces can plot graphs, but these are primarily designed for saving
publication-quality plots into PDF/PNG/SVG files and not for interactive
visualisation on the screen. Basically, you would have to re-draw the graph
every time something changes on the graph.

I know about someone who managed to embed igraph graphs successfully in a Gtk
widget in Python (on Linux) to visualise graphs without saving them to an
external file, so you may want to experiment with that if you are familiar with
Python and Gtk:

http://www.bayesfor.eu/wiki/en/user/matteo_zandi/dev/igraph-pygtk