Re: [igraph] getting the graph of the maximum component

From: Gábor Csárdi
Subject: Re: [igraph] getting the graph of the maximum component
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 21:42:57 +0200

Hi Martin,

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Martin Tomko <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have a graph that consists of many disconnected components (subgraphs, or
> clusters...).
> I am interested in working with the maximum one.
> I figured the following approach to identify it in the csize frame of the
> clusters function :
>
> c<-clusters(g)
> which.max(c$csize)
>
> I would like to get it as a graph object. trying the following failed:
> gg<-c[which.max(c$csize)]

What would this do? 'c' is a list with components named 'membership',
'csize' and 'no'. They are not graphs.
The correct way to do it is something like

gg <- subgraph(g, which(c$membership==which.max(c$csize)-1)-1)

The '-1' are because of igraph's zero-based indexing.

> seems like decompose.graph could help, but I am wondering what's the easiest
> way to identify and get the largest component from this output.
>
> The documentation claims that the result of decompose.graph(g) is a list of
> graph objects, but this fails:
>
> f<-decompose.graph(g)
> ff<-f[1]

This is a common R trap, I guess. If you want to select a single
element of a list, use '[[' for indexing. If you index a list with
'[', you'll select a sub-list, i.e. in your case the result is a
single-element list.

So f[[1]] is a graph, not necessarily the biggest one, of course. If
you want the biggest one, then do it like this:

f[[ which.max(sapply(f, vcount)) ]]

But this is a much slower version than the previous one.