Re: [igraph] eigenvector cumulative distribution

From: Diamantis Sellis
Subject: Re: [igraph] eigenvector cumulative distribution
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 17:40:19 -0700 (PDT)

>From my experience with power-laws not related to networks cumulative
plots are much more useful as:
1. they have less noise especially in the rare(large) values
2. they do not require any kind of binning (important for small samples)
3. I think they are more robust. I tried taking sub-samples of my power-law
distributed sample
   and the cumulative plots where always more similar to the cumulative of the
whole sample.
Two nice papers that talk mention the advantages of using cumulative plots when
dealing with power-laws:
- arXiv:cond-mat/0412004v3 [cond-mat.stat-mech] "Another, and in many ways a
superior, method of plotting the data is to calculate a cumulative distribution
function."
 - arXiv:0706.1062v2 [physics.data-an]