Re: [igraph] RuntimeWarning when reading GraphML

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] RuntimeWarning when reading GraphML
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 17:36:27 +0000

1) Whether to read the <node id="n3"> type of ids from the graph, or
not. It they are not read, then we might lose some information. If
they are read, that could lead to confusion.
I think we should read them anyway, but renaming the auto-generated "id" attribute to "GraphML:id" seems a good idea; chances are that some of our users will use the "id" attribute for other purposes, but it's unlikely with "GraphML:id".

2) Whether to use the "id" (igraph) vertex attribute as <node id="n3">
type of ids, when we write out a GraphML file. Perhaps not.
I agree; in general, nothing guarantees that the "id" attributes are unique and although igraph will happily save the graph as GraphML in this case, it won't be able to read it back.