ifile-discuss

[Ifile-discuss] Re: ifile and BASE64 mails

From: clemens fischer
Subject: [Ifile-discuss] Re: ifile and BASE64 mails
Date: 25 Feb 2003 20:55:18 +0100

Camillo Särs <address@hidden>:

> This is a common complaint about ifile, but it's actually not
> "really" ifile's fault.  At least not according to "naive" unix
> philosophy.  It's really more a matter of finding a good tool to do
> decoding of BASE64 in a reasonable way.  I tried to use metamail,
> but it's just too broken for anyting like automatic piping of all
> mail through it.  I got crashes on umpteen mails.  Don't want a
> security hole in my email. :(

this problem is not at all trivial to solve.  i remember a discussion
on gmane about this, and what they resorted to was a decoder from
sourceforge or some mailing package with a size of several 100kB.
they evaluated several alternatives, none of which was at the same
time small, fast, stable and easy to use.

you might want to search the gmane discussion group for the details.

> For now, I choose to supplement ifile with Mozilla 1.3b junk mail
> filtering.  Actually Mozilla is doing a very good job on the missed
> emails.  It has also picked up on the "X-Spam-Flag:" header I add.

is the mozilla junk filter based on regexes or some adaptive scheme?

  clemens