ifile-discuss

Re: [Ifile-discuss] ifile and BASE64 mails

From: Camillo Särs
Subject: Re: [Ifile-discuss] ifile and BASE64 mails
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 10:24:50 +0200

Lea Viljanen wrote:
> I just got my e-mail system hooked up with ifile
> and it otherwise works OK, but misses all BASE64
> encoded spam (half a dozen or so per day).

This is a common complaint about ifile, but it's actually not "really"
ifile's fault.  At least not according to "naive" unix philosophy.  It's
really more a matter of finding a good tool to do decoding of BASE64 in a
reasonable way.  I tried to use metamail, but it's just too broken for
anyting like automatic piping of all mail through it.  I got crashes on
umpteen mails.  Don't want a security hole in my email. :(

So, anyone who knows a good BASE64-to-tokenizable-text filter, raise your hand!

For now, I choose to supplement ifile with Mozilla 1.3b junk mail filtering.
 Actually Mozilla is doing a very good job on the missed emails.  It has
also picked up on the "X-Spam-Flag:" header I add.

> Any hints? I could start tweaking ifilter.mh
> to decode the e-mails before passing to ifile,
> but I hope someone has already solved this?

I'd appreciate a good solution as well.  Just the tool would do, the
tweaking I can handle myself.

Cheers,
Camillo
--