Re: Latest Octave for Ubuntu?

From: Salva Ardid
Subject: Re: Latest Octave for Ubuntu?
Date: Wed, 06 May 2020 14:41:52 -0400

Response below:

> Salva,
>
> I hate to appear helpless. I think I got octave install using flatpak using
> the following two commands:
>
> flatpak remote-add flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
>
> flatpak install flathub org.octave.Octave
>
> These are from, https://linuxhint.com/install_gnu_octave_packages/. However,
>  I can't find the "octave" command. I see some things in
> /var/lib/flatpak/app/org.octave.Octave/x86_64/stable but no commands for
> running octave.

You should be able to start its launcher as all other apps as it has a desktop
file that is visible (and it also works in the terminal as octave-cli which is
octave's default behavior).

Perhaps this has been introduced later on and it's not present in flatpak's
version that is present in the ubuntu repos (1.0.9). You can manually make
links and/or copy desktop files from those in flatpak, but I would highly
encourage using flatpak from the launchpad repo (1.7.2), which avoids these
problems. Also flatpak 1.7.2 has many other goodies compared to 1.0.9, e.g.
Using `flatpak install octave` and have it suggest whether what you really want
to install is org.octave.Octave from flathub repo...