Re: Latest Octave for Ubuntu?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Latest Octave for Ubuntu?
Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 09:46:09 -0700

On Wed, May 06, 2020 at 16:36:47 +0000, Jeffrey Layton wrote:
> Yep, 18.04 is a bit old but some tools I use require it (no CentOS or
> RHEL). Maybe when they start supporting 20.04, I can upgrade. In the
> meantime, I would have to build flatpack for 18.04 (it's not in the
> standard repos). Not excited about that.

It is in the 18.04 repository, it's spelled "flatpak".

> In the meantime, it looks like I need to build the important bits from
> scratch.

As an Octave developer and someone who packages Octave for Debian,
Flatpak, and Snap, I would agree that flatpak is exactly meant for you.

When you are able to update to Ubuntu 20.04, you will get Octave version
5.2.0. But as with all LTS, that will remain 5.2.0 for the next two
years. It's brand new now, but it will be quite stale in February 2022.

--
mike