Re: Latest Octave for Ubuntu?

From: Jeffrey Layton
Subject: Re: Latest Octave for Ubuntu?
Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 15:59:49 +0000

Honestly, I don't want to build everything from source. I've done it before and I'd rather avoid it.

Second - I don't want to use another package manager with Ubuntu. I like using one so I don't screw up anything. Is it possible to convert from flatpack to debian .pkg?

Since it's only available for flatpack, I'm guessing there are package managers for the various distros? So there isn't one for CentOS or Ubuntu or Debian?

Thanks!

Jeff

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 3:27 PM Salva Ardid <address@hidden> wrote:
I think I found a weird bug in kmail (my email client) and the text I added to the bottom of my reply went to the limb (the purpose of this sentence is to avoid this happening again; please see my response below)

  >   > Good morning,
  >   >
  >   > When I try, "apt-get install octave" on Ubuntu 18.04 I get an "old"
  >   > version. I would like to install the latest (or at least close). I can't
  >   > find am Ubuntu repo for this - does anyone know of one?
  >   >
  >   > Thanks!
  >   >
  >   > Jeff
  >
  >   Compile from source code might be an option, most of the time I however
  >   found there are not big difference between versions though cumulative
  >   improvements over the years make a difference.

Give flatpak's package a try, it works great for me.