data cut-and-paste on Octave commandline

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: data cut-and-paste on Octave commandline
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 13:19:37 -0400

Often I'd like to process some tabular data from other apps (browser or spreadsheet). It's easy enough to mark the entire table, but the multiple numbers on each row often seem to be delimited by tabs. When this is dropped into Octave command line after the opening stanza of the form 'myvar=[' , the tabs are eaten by readline, and the individual numbers run together.

With spreadsheet, I usually can cut and paste individual columns one-by-one, but this doesn't work for tabular data from other sources.

Is thereĀ  a better way to feed data to Octave?

If not, is there a way to temporarily turn off/disable readline processing?