Re: data cut-and-paste on Octave commandline

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: data cut-and-paste on Octave commandline
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 10:36:14 -0700

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 13:19:37 -0400, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
> Often I'd like to process some tabular data from other apps (browser or
> spreadsheet). It's easy enough to mark the entire table, but the multiple
> numbers on each row often seem to be delimited by tabs. When this is dropped
> into Octave command line after the opening stanza of the form 'myvar=[' ,
> the tabs are eaten by readline, and the individual numbers run together.
>
> With spreadsheet, I usually can cut and paste individual columns one-by-one,
> but this doesn't work for tabular data from other sources.
>
> Is thereĀ  a better way to feed data to Octave?
>
> If not, is there a way to temporarily turn off/disable readline processing?

Yes, you are looking for the readline option "enable-bracketed-paste".
Add

    set enable-bracketed-paste on

to your ~/.inputrc and it should be taken care of automatically if you
are using any common terminal emulator that supports this feature.

Unfortunately, the Octave GUI terminal does *not* currently support
bracketed paste, so if you enable this option and use the GUI, you will
see a bunch of error messages about unrecognized escape sequences.

--
mike