Octave 5.1.0 and Qt installation problems

From: babelproofreader
Subject: Octave 5.1.0 and Qt installation problems
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2019 12:39:21 -0600 (CST)

On trying to install the latest Octave 5.1.0 I'm getting this configuration
error:

configure: WARNING: Qt does not work with the OpenGL libs (GL and GLU);
disabling OpenGL graphics with Qt GUI

I am already running an older version of Octave 4.2.1 with no problems and
it doesn't matter whether I set the configure flag to --with-qt=4 or
--with-qt=5, both give the same error. How do I solve this?