audioread vs wavread

From: Ian McCallion
Subject: audioread vs wavread
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 15:16:42 +0000

I need the size of the audio in a wav file and use:

    [N_SAMP, N_CHAN] = wavread (FILENAME, "size");

 However wavread is now obsolete and will soon disappear:

   >> wavread
   warning: wavread is obsolete and will be removed from a future
version of Octave,
   please use audioread instead

Unfortunately audioread does not have the "size" option, so what is
the recommended way to obtain the size of the file in terms of number
of samples and channels?  Should I plan to decode the wav header
myself?

Cheers... Ian