Re: exporting figures with embedded fonts ?

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: exporting figures with embedded fonts ?
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 00:54:10 -0500

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 5:22 PM, Pantxo <address@hidden> wrote:
CdeMills wrote
> Hello,
>
> I have a question from a Ph.D student writing his thesis. A number of
> figures are produced with Octave, and the final target is to produce a
> pdf/A1-a document (pdf long term archive) using xelatex.
>
> To this end:
> 1) figures should not have transparency
> 2) figure fonts should be embedded
>
> Is there some way to generate directly export such figures from inside
> Octave to eps/pdf files ?
>
> Regards
>
> Pascal
>

> --
> Sent from:
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-General-f1599825.html

Hi,

I guess it depends what graphics toolkit the student is using?

Opengl based toolkits (fltk, qt) can produce two kinds of ouputs:
*  pdf/eps straight out of Octave: those have fonts embedded by default by
Ghostscript,
* latex + pdf/eps files to be post-processed by a latex engine. In this case
you'll have to instruct xelatex to do the font embedding itself.

I know nothing about the gnuplot toolkit so I'll let someone else answer.

Pantxo

​The easiest is probably no to worry about this and ambedd all the fonts to the final pdf
document with e.g. ghostscript:

gs -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=output.pdf input.pdf

​Neither gl2ps not ghostscript will embed standard postscript core fonts by default.
So the eps/pdf figures produced by octave's gl graphics will NOT have fonts embedded.
With development version of octave you can use svg output with custom font names and
those will get embedded by subsequent conversion to pdf.

As far as I know gnuplot (at least with pdfcairo terminal) always embeds fonts into output file.

Dmitri.