Re: Octave 4.2.1 gui won't launch on OS X El Capitan 10.11

From: Sebastian Schöps
Subject: Re: Octave 4.2.1 gui won't launch on OS X El Capitan 10.11
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2017 02:07:20 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

the gui does not work on the Mac. This is known since quite some time and
there are bug reports on it. It seems to work for some installations. I will
give some hints in the following.

swope wrote
> Hi, I'm looking for help installing Octave 4.2.1 in OS X El Capitan
> (10.11) using Homebrew. I used `brew install octave` without flags.

Make sure before that you have the latest version of all dependencies "brew
update; brew upgrade". Possibly, to make sure there is nothing wrong with
qt: "brew reinstall qt" and "brew reinstall pyqt". It may also help to
remove old versions "brew cleanup" before continuing. Finally, you may want
to try to compile from source "brew install octave --build-from-source
--with-qt5".

swope wrote
> On the bright side, running `octave --no-gui` works, and `sombrero` pops
> open a figure. However, there is a warning: `warning: opengl_renderer:
> Error 1286 occurred in init_gl_context`

The warning is save to be ignored.

swope wrote
> I have XQuartz 2.7.11 (xorg-server 1.18.4), gnuplot 5.0.6, and qt 5.9.0.

You de not need X11 for Octave. If you want gnuplot support, make sure to
install octave with "--with-gnuplot". ASFAIK qt 5.9 is super recent, I am
not sure if octave was ever successfully compiled with it. I will also give
it try...

Seb.