Re: Octave 4.2.1 gui won't launch on OS X El Capitan 10.11

From: swope
Subject: Re: Octave 4.2.1 gui won't launch on OS X El Capitan 10.11
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2017 09:35:10 -0700 (PDT)

Thank for the tips, but I'm still having the same trouble. At this point
I'm going to give up on trying to use the Octave gui, and simply use the
--no-gui option.

> the gui does not work on the Mac. This is known since quite some time and
> there are bug reports on it. It seems to work for some installations. I
> will give some hints in the following.

My colleague with the same generation MacBook and El Capitan has the Octave
gui working with no problem, so I was hoping for similar luck.

> Make sure before that you have the latest version of all dependencies
> "brew update; brew upgrade". Possibly, to make sure there is nothing wrong
> with qt: "brew reinstall qt" and "brew reinstall pyqt". It may also help to
> remove old versions "brew cleanup" before continuing. Finally, you may want
> to try to compile from source "brew install octave --build-from-source
> --with-qt5".

While compiling from source, I saw:

`Warning: homebrew/science/octave: this formula has no --with-qt5 option so
it will be ignored!`
`Warning: homebrew/science/octave dependency gcc was built with a different
C++ standard library (libstdc++ from clang). This may cause problems at
runtime.`

> The warning is save to be ignored.

Good to know. So for now I will use Octave in no-gui mode. Maybe I'll
re-visit in a few months' time.

Cheers.
Nelson