Re: Problems with the ui* family of functions

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Problems with the ui* family of functions
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 11:59:59 -0700

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 10:38:04 +0200, Martin Kunz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The ui* family of functions are to my mind a valuable extension of
> Octave, thanks to everyone who was involved in their development!
>
> Thanks also to Andreas Weber for the helpful example he posted recently
> [1] !
>
> I am having some trouble with the ui* functions, though. Before
> submitting bug reports I wanted to make sure that the problem is not
> sitting in front of the screen.
> Please have a look the attached sample script. It plots a sine wave that
> can be zoomed into in x-direction with a slider.
>
>  1. If I drag the slider with the mouse, the yticks often change their
>     length and the yticklabels move a bit horizontally. This does not
>     happen if I click on the arrow buttons at the sides of the zoom slider.
>  2. If I rescale the figure window interactively, the slider ends up in
>     different places or is not visible at all. This also happens with
>     Andreas' script (see the attached screenshot for an example).
>     Neither refresh nor drawnow seem to help.
>
> I am using Octave 4.2.0-rc2 on Windows 7.

I can confirm #1 on Debian on the default branch with Qt 5, but not #2.
The figure window contents are a bit laggy when the figure window is
resized, but they always end up where they are supposed to be.

You should report both of these on the bug tracker. I can reproduce #1
without any slider or callback necessary, by simply calling xlim() in
such a way that the range is changed more or less drastically:

  plot (0:500)
  xlim ([0 500])
  xlim ([230 270])

--