Re: Impulse function and it's arguments

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: Impulse function and it's arguments
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 08:30:01 +0200

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 1:18 AM, Aleksandar Arsovic
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Dear Sir/Madam,
>
> I am writing with regards to a impulse() function implemented in Octave.
>
> I have a system defined with differential equation. It seems to me that my
> differential equation is LTI model, is that true?

Impossible to know without the actual equation. Do the parameters
depend on time? Is it linear?

> Now, how can I create sys variable so I can use it as an argument in
> impulse(sys) function?
You need to create the matrices that represent your differential
equation (LTI) and use the function
Then use functions ss or tf depending on how you wrote your system
http://octave.sourceforge.net/control/overview.html#Linear_Time_Invariant_Models

> I understand that sys variable is LTI model for the system, but I don't
> understand what it actually represents (an array, matrix...), could You
> explain that a bit?

Maybe you want to look at the manual
https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/v4.0.1/Matrices.html#Matrices

> Also I understood that impulse() function is supposed to plot (or return)
> system response to Dirac function (like in Matlab), if that is not the case,
> could You please explain the usage of the function.

Yes, that is what it does. It uses the same underlying library as matlab does.