Re: Importing data from excel file.

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: Importing data from excel file.
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 15:22:27 -0500

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 8:29 AM, Rtinek <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

I have quite the same problem like NJank.
I am fighting little bit with importing data from xls. (Unfortunately it is
not possible to convert these data
to another format now.)

I have: Octave 4.0.0 and Windows 8

Because I also I didn't have the i/o pacage so I tried to install it.
I behaved according to this link.

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Importing-data-from-excel-file-td4672917.html
<http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Importing-data-from-excel-file-td4672917.html>

I used:

cd ( [ OCTAVE_HOME  filesep  "src"])
pkg  install  -auto  windows-1.2.1.tar.gz

then:

>>pkg list
Package Name  | Version | Installation directory
--------------+---------+-----------------------
     windows *|   1.2.1 |
C:\Octave\Octave-4.0.0\share\octave\packages\windows-1.2.1

>> help xlsread
error: help: Functions for spreadsheet style I/O (.xls .xlsx .sxc .ods .dbf
.wk1
etc.) are provided in the io package. See `http://octave.sf.net/io/'.

Please read `http://www.octave.org/missing.html' to learn how you can
contribute missing functionality.

But there is still impossible to use xlsread function.

I tried to use another commands like:

pkg load io
pkg install -forge -auto io
pkg rebuild -auto io

 it didn't works also.

My question is, if I need to install this i/o package in different way?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Martin

As Philip said, you need the windows and io packages installed and loaded.

you said you did:

>> pkg install -forge -auto io

Did that not work? what does a pkg list now show?

Also, your pkg list only shows 1 package.  There is a README.html file in the Octave base folder that gives instructions on setting up all of the packages bundled with the Windows version.

in that same src folder, just type the following in the octave command window:  build_packages

this will install a good number of the more popular packages. Then you can load whichever you want to use with

pkg load <pkgname>

Nick J.