Re: Importing data from excel file.

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Importing data from excel file.
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 09:53:53 -0800 (PST)

Rtinek wrote
> Hi,
>
> I have quite the same problem like NJank.
> I am fighting little bit with importing data from xls. (Unfortunately it
> is not possible to convert these data
> to another format now.)
>

> I have: Octave 4.0.0 and Windows 8
>
> Because I also I didn't have the i/o pacage so I tried to install it.
> I behaved according to this link.
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Importing-data-from-excel-file-td4672917.html
> <http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Importing-data-from-excel-file-td4672917.html>
>

> I used:
>
> cd ( [ OCTAVE_HOME  filesep  "src"])
> pkg  install  -auto  windows-1.2.1.tar.gz
>
> then:
>
>>>pkg list
> Package Name  | Version | Installation directory
> --------------+---------+-----------------------
>      windows *|   1.2.1 |
> C:\Octave\Octave-4.0.0\share\octave\packages\windows-1.2.1

Good, but so far you've only installed the windows package, which is needed
to invoke MS-Excel to read xls and xlsx files.
You also need to install the io package (which holds the actual spreadsheet
I/O functions) using

pkg  install  -auto  io-<version>.tar.gz

(where <version> could be 2.2.9?

or even better:

pkg install -forge -auto io

(that will download & install the latest version from the web)

followed by

pkg load auto

(which will load all packages designated to be "auto"loaded - you'd only
need to do this once)

> <snip>
> My question is, if I need to install this i/o package in different way?

See above

Philip