Re: Octave VRML import

From: Alois Schloegl
Subject: Re: Octave VRML import
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 17:10:20 +0100

On 10/28/2015 06:44 AM, Etienne Grossmann wrote:

>  Hi Alois,
>
> sorry, I don't know of vrml-import function.
>
>       * If there were one, it'd give you something like a parse tree,
> possibly in the form of a cell of structs. Is this something you could
> really use?
>       * What do you want it for? Recover 3D points from vrml surfaces and
> such?

Dear Etienne,

thanks for your reply. Yes, I need access to the data points and the
faces (i.e. triangulations).

>       * A simple file filter (e.g. perl) may help you get some data out of a
> file.

Sure, that's certainly an option; although it would be nice to have it
integrated in Octave. The The "best" solution is probably an
oct/mex-wrapper above the import functions of meshlab/vcglib [1,2].
These software support already a number of mesh-data formats.

[1] http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://vcg.isti.cnr.it/vcglib/

>  Good luck,
>
>  Etienne
>
> PS: If you use the vrml package, you may prefer the one attached, which
> works better w/ new Octaves. On Debian/Ubuntu, you may want to apt-get
> install view3dscene and vrml_set_browser("view3dscene"). I'd submit
> these changes to octave-forge, but after RTFM a little, I haven't
> figured out how to submit patches :-(

Thanks for the updated vrml-package. vrml_browse is now working for me
(on Debian 8), unlike the package from octave-forge (missing freewrl),

It seems octave-vrml has been migrated to mercurial
  hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/octave/vrml octave-vrml

Best,
  Alois