Re: "odswrite: zip I/O error" when in different directory?

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: "odswrite: zip I/O error" when in different directory?
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 03:04:55 -0700 (PDT)

Peter P. wrote
> Dear list,
>
> I am having problems writing to an .ods spreadsheet file which is not
> in the current working directory:
>
>     retVal=odswrite("../someDir/someFile.ods", someArray, 1, "A1:Z31",
> "OCT")
>
> gives the following error message:
>
>     zip I/O error: No such file or directory
>     zip error: Could not create output file (../someDir/someFile.ods)
>
> Interestingly the return value (retVal) is "1", which would indicate
> success. However, there is nothing written to this file.
>
> The whole thing works while being in the same directory as the file to
> write to. Could it be that the folder path is not correctly passed to
> zip (I seem to recall that .ods files might in fact be zipped .xml files).
>
> Other ods-related functions (odsread, odsfinfo, can access the file in
> different
> directories).
>
> Please note that I am using octave 3.8.1 on Debian, with package
> octave-io 2.2.2-1 and without octave-java installed. I understand that
> the "OCT" way of writing files does not require java.
>
> I can still manually cd to the respective directory and call odswrite
> as workaround, just curious if I am doing something wrong.

Currently I'm working on an issue with zipping up .ods files when using the
OCT interface. Big chance it's related to the one you hit (maybe even the
same).
Could you please file a bug report (with "[OF]" in the title)?

Did you try any of the other (Java-based) interfaces? If so, do they work
correctly?

Philip