Re: "odswrite: zip I/O error" when in different directory?

From: Peter P.
Subject: Re: "odswrite: zip I/O error" when in different directory?
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 21:10:14 -0400

* Philip Nienhuis <address@hidden> [2014-07-13 06:05]:
> Peter P. wrote
> > Dear list,
> >
> > I am having problems writing to an .ods spreadsheet file which is not
> > in the current working directory:
> >
> >     retVal=odswrite("../someDir/someFile.ods", someArray, 1, "A1:Z31",
> > "OCT")
> >
> > gives the following error message:
> >
> >     zip I/O error: No such file or directory
> >     zip error: Could not create output file (../someDir/someFile.ods)
> >
> > Interestingly the return value (retVal) is "1", which would indicate
> > success. However, there is nothing written to this file.
> >
> > The whole thing works while being in the same directory as the file to
> > write to. Could it be that the folder path is not correctly passed to
> > zip (I seem to recall that .ods files might in fact be zipped .xml files).
> >
> > Other ods-related functions (odsread, odsfinfo, can access the file in
> > different
> > directories).
> >
> > Please note that I am using octave 3.8.1 on Debian, with package
> > octave-io 2.2.2-1 and without octave-java installed. I understand that
> > the "OCT" way of writing files does not require java.
> >
> > I can still manually cd to the respective directory and call odswrite
> > as workaround, just curious if I am doing something wrong.
>
> Currently I'm working on an issue with zipping up .ods files when using the
> OCT interface. Big chance it's related to the one you hit (maybe even the
> same).
> Could you please file a bug report (with "[OF]" in the title)?
>
> Did you try any of the other (Java-based) interfaces? If so, do they work
> correctly?
>
> Philip

Thanks for your reply! How exciting that I might have discovered some
bug, thus contributing to the development of octave.
I am not using any java-based interface, in fact none of them are
available on my system (according to 'pkg list'). I was actually
wondering how to get them installed on Debian. The "octave-java"
package would force me to downgrade octave (currently "testing") and
some other packages, so I have avoided doing so. Can anyone confirm
that this would be the correct way of installing at all?
Philip, I'd happily file a bug report. Would you want me to do so for
the Debian package or on savannah?

thanks!