Re: octave install

From: lukshuntim
Subject: Re: octave install
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2014 21:46:25 +0800

On Wednesday, April 09, 2014 05:57 PM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
--- On Wed, 2014/4/9, Tatsuro MATSUOKA <address@hidden> wrote:

--- On Wed, 2014/4/9, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:

On Wednesday, April 09, 2014 03:10 PM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
--- On Wed, 2014/4/9, address@hidden wrote:

On Wednesday, April 09, 2014 10:56 AM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
--- On Wed, 2014/4/9, Fausto Arinos de A. Barbuto  wrote:

On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 6:48:17 PM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA  wrote:

--- On Wed, 2014/4/9, Fausto Arinos de A. Barbuto wrote:
Hi, Tatsuro.  Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I didn't keep a build log neither did I save the error
messages that were displayed onto the xterm.  But I will definitely
save a log and will post it here should I ever decide to try installing
3.8 on my computer again.

For the time being, a question stands: why should gmsh be removed from
the system upon the installation of Octave 3.8's dependencies?  I fail
to understand why.

I have not used gmsh. If I can find time, I will try to install gmsh and build
octave-3.8.1 and see what will happen.

You may have other stuff uninstalled.  Watch out.

Fausto

I installed the gmsh using the synaptic packge manager and built octave-3.8.1.
I could build it without any errors.

make check results:

       PASS     11537
       FAIL         0
       XFAIL        7
       SKIPPED      2

I noticed that a few octave depency libraries (e.g hd5) were replaced in
installing the gmsh.

Is your self-compiled octave built against libhdf5-openmpi or
libhdf5-serial? They conflict with one another. The former was pulled in
by gmsh, along the chain of dependencies.

Regards,
ST
--

Is your self-compiled octave built against libhdf5-openmpi or
libhdf5-serial?

libhdf5-openmpi

The synaptic package manager uninstalled libhdf5-serial and installed
libhdf5-openmpi at installing gmsh.

The reason I ask is, for me (ubuntu 12.10 quantal, hdf5 1.8.8-9 and
libraries pulled in by apt-get), "configure" does *not* pick up hdf5.h
from libhdf5-openmpi-dev. (It does pick up hdf5.h from libhdf5-dev which
is from the serial version.)

My octave_config_info shows
          HDF5 = 0
          HDF5_18 = 0
          HDF5_H = 0

Can you check that for me in your built? Or you have specified
something in the configure options to pick it up?

Regards,
ST

Sorry my build was lack of libhdf5*-dev so that hdf5 was disabled.  I will
check libhdf5openmpi-dev and check the configure behavior.

Regards

Tatsuro
Sorry my build was lack of lighdf

I checked config.log

configure:15393: gcc -c -g -O2 -pthread    conftest.c >&5
In file included from /usr/include/hdf5.h:24:0,
                  from conftest.c:90:
/usr/include/H5public.h:57:20: fatal error: mpi.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
configure:15393: $? = 1

The lack of mpi.h from openmpi is the origin of misdectioning
libhdf5openmpi-dev.

Ah, thanks!

According to the synaptic package manager, openmpi on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS does not
have dev package.  The version of openmpi bundled with gmsh is 1.4.3.  I have
build openmpi-1.4.3 from source and installed to /usr/local.

Strange! Ubuntu quantal does have libopenmpi-dev and mpi.h lives in /usr/include/mpi (a symlink created by update-alternatives). Therefore passing CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/include/mpi to "configure" should have it detected. Or maybe simply use setting CXX=mpic++ will be good enough.

The configure of octave-3.8.1 successfully detected hdf5.
Now I am executing "make".

After "make" finished I will report the results.

I'll wait for your results. Building octave takes too long a time on my rather old box. :-(

Regards,
ST