Re: octave install

From: lukshuntim
Subject: Re: octave install
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2014 14:03:30 +0800

On Wednesday, April 09, 2014 10:56 AM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
--- On Wed, 2014/4/9, Fausto Arinos de A. Barbuto  wrote:

On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 6:48:17 PM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA  wrote:

--- On Wed, 2014/4/9, Fausto Arinos de A. Barbuto wrote:
Hi, Tatsuro.  Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I didn't keep a build log neither did I save the error
messages that were displayed onto the xterm.  But I will definitely
save a log and will post it here should I ever decide to try installing
3.8 on my computer again.

For the time being, a question stands: why should gmsh be removed from
the system upon the installation of Octave 3.8's dependencies?  I fail
to understand why.

I have not used gmsh. If I can find time, I will try to install gmsh and build
octave-3.8.1 and see what will happen.

You may have other stuff uninstalled.  Watch out.

Fausto

I installed the gmsh using the synaptic packge manager and built octave-3.8.1.
I could build it without any errors.

make check results:

   PASS     11537
   FAIL         0
   XFAIL        7
   SKIPPED      2

I noticed that a few octave depency libraries (e.g hd5) were replaced in
installing the gmsh.

Is your self-compiled octave built against libhdf5-openmpi or libhdf5-serial? They conflict with one another. The former was pulled in by gmsh, along the chain of dependencies.

Regards,
ST