GPIB serial poll of an instrument

From: martine1212
Subject: GPIB serial poll of an instrument
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 21:55:19 -0700 (PDT)

Now that octave has an instrument control toolbox...
I am wondering if there is any way of serial polling an instrument.
For example I am programming an 8510C VNA, the total test time is unknown
so the VNA will request service when the test is done and data is ready.

I read the linux-gpib has the capability, just wondering if there is any way
of using in octave.
Or, if you are a developer, perhaps adding the function would be a good
idea.

Thank you