Re: findDelay.m

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: findDelay.m
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 15:17:05 -0400

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 2:30 PM, MV <address@hidden> wrote:

I have a vector os current and tension. Both are no sinoidal. I'd like to know the delay between then.

Marcos Varella

It appears Octave does not have a function that is compatible with the Matlab finddelay.m function. It appears if you wish to solve this problem in Octave you will have to manually perform the operations that the finddelay function does for you. The link you provided earlier to the Matlab function description does describe the algorithm used at the bottom of the page.  Octave DOES have the xcorr function implemented in a way that is (I believe) compatible with Matlab's xcorr function. Thus, you should be able to use it in the same way described on that page. You may need to learn a thing or two about correlation functions, however. A correlation function would take two separate profiles as inputs, and output some 'figure of merit' indicating how 'well matched' the two profiles are to each other. For two identical sinusoids that are only shifted in time, this correlation response should be proportional to the phase shift between them. for two non-identical functions, like your current and tension, the figure of merit will also vary by how well it can 'match' the two functions (i.e., guess at where the two 'should' line up). Good luck!
nickj