Re: installing octave and pcre no root

From: Dan Betea
Subject: Re: installing octave and pcre no root
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 15:57:35 +0200

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 3:26 PM, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 9:04 AM, Dan Betea wrote:
> I am trying to install octave 3.6.4 on my office PC (Scientific Linux 6.4
> based on red hat) but I can only do it in my own account since I don't have
> root access.
>
> When trying I get the following error:
>
> configure: error: to build Octave, you must have the PCRE library and header
> files installed
>
> This happens in a directory called /some_stuff/user_name/Programs.
>
> I have installed pcre 8.32 (and checked the installation by running RunTest)
> in the directory /some_stuff/user_name/bin/pcre-8.32 and then tried the
> command
>
> ./configure CPPFLAGS="-I/some_stuff/user_name/bin/pcre-8.32/include"
> LDFLAGS="-L/some_stuff/user_name/bin/pcre-8.32/lib"
>
> That didn't get rid of the error. It is still there. Anything else I could
> try?

Can you try adding the path to pcre-config to your PATH environment
variable before calling configure? Assuming I'm interpreting correctly
what you did, something like:

  PATH=/some_stuff/user_name/bin/pcre-8.32/bin:$PATH
  ./configure ...

HTH,

--
mike

That seemed to have helped. It goes past that step, gives a bunch of warnings, and then ends with:

configure: error: You are required to have BLAS and LAPACK libraries

Is there any website that lists *exactly* (as in package by package) what needs to be had for the installation? And is there any *good* way to figure, from the items in that list, what packages are already installed?

My guess is the dependencies are quite non-trivial. On the other hand I installed sage yesterday with no trouble (though it took 4 hours to compile). So there's no reason apriori for something of a similar complexity to be so hard to compile.

Dan