installing octave and pcre no root

From: Dan Betea
Subject: installing octave and pcre no root
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 15:04:45 +0200

I am trying to install octave 3.6.4 on my office PC (Scientific Linux 6.4 based on red hat) but I can only do it in my own account since I don't have root access.

When trying I get the following error:

configure: error: to build Octave, you must have the PCRE library and header files installed

This happens in a directory called /some_stuff/user_name/Programs.

I have installed pcre 8.32 (and checked the installation by running RunTest) in the directory /some_stuff/user_name/bin/pcre-8.32 and then tried the command

./configure CPPFLAGS="-I/some_stuff/user_name/bin/pcre-8.32/include" LDFLAGS="-L/some_stuff/user_name/bin/pcre-8.32/lib"

That didn't get rid of the error. It is still there. Anything else I could try?

Thanks,

Dan