Re: Installation of Octave on MacBook Pro under OS X Mountain Lion

From: Glenn Eychaner
Subject: Re: Installation of Octave on MacBook Pro under OS X Mountain Lion
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 08:19:24 -0300

On Apr 12, 2013, at 8:54 PM, address@hidden wrote:

> Lukas has already given you good advice.  But I'll mention we have a wiki
> page on Octave and MacOS X.
>
>       http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X
>
> At the bottom of that page is a warning about the sourceforge binaries.  They
> will not run for you on MacOS 10.8.  Since Homebrew has dropped support
> (temporarily?) for Octave, your choices are to use Macports (if you have
> trouble, please report the problem to the Macports guys), or Fink.  At
> present, Fink has the latest version available (3.6.4) and Macports is a bit
> behind (3.6.3).   If you encounter problems with Fink installing Octave,
> please report the problem to Fink guys.  You are free to report it here as
> well, but you are likely to get a quicker response on from Fink.

In addition, I maintain a set of scripts and instructions for installing a
number of astronomical software packages under Mac OS X at
http://www.lco.cl/Members/geychaner/.  One of the packages in Octave, and I
just recently updated the instructions and scripts for 3.6.4.

-G.
--
Glenn Eychaner (address@hidden)
Telescope Systems Programmer, Las Campanas Observatory